Online selling offers vast opportunities for entrepreneurs everywhere. Ecommerce is growing every year with no sign of slowing down.
If you’re interested in starting an online business, selling online can be highly beneficial for you. It can also provide a path to success without investing a huge amount in buying property and opening a physical store.
One of the best parts is selling online across the borders of your city, your country, or even continent without ever leaving your work desk. But one biggest question that may arise in your mind is where do you start selling online in India in 2022.
Don’t worry! It is not too technical or costs too much. This article covers the detailed guide on how to sell online in India in 2022.
Why Sell Online In India In 2022
India has a significant retail sector. In the past few years, India has witnessed a boom in B2C eCommerce because of online stores’ growth.
These ecommerce stores are currently offering free shipping, massive discounts, all types of appealing offers, trade schemes, etc., including a feeling of confidence in consumers.
India is the fastest-growing market for the eCommerce industry. India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF) report has predicted the Indian eCommerce industry to be worth $200 billion by 2026. The same information expects Internet users to grow from 604 million in 2018 to 829 million by 2022.
Companies like Flipkart have already crossed billion-dollar valuation. If you want to start selling online in India in 2022, this is perhaps the best time to start selling it online.
Some notable benefits of start selling online in India in 2022:
- Faster buying process
- Easy to Store and product listing creation
- Cost reduction
- Affordable advertising and marketing
- Flexibility for customers
- No, reach limitations
- Product and price comparison
- More rapid response to buyer/market demands
- Several payment modes
Select An Ecommerce Business Model To Start Selling Online
You should select a perfect e-commerce business model before you start selling online in India in 2022.
There are multiple types of ecommerce business models with their own set of pros and cons. Every business model requires different levels of financial investment.
You should know that the steps required to set up and running an online business remain the same for all types of business models and products you choose.
You can choose any models your need from below to sell online in India.
Dropshipping is a retail fulfillment method. Here stores do not keep the goods it sells in stock. Instead, when stores sell online a product employing the dropshipping version, it buys the item by a third party and sends it right to the customer. Because of this, the vendor does not need to take care of the item while selling online.
The most significant difference between dropshipping and the conventional retail version is that the selling dropshipping does not store inventory or own stock.
Here’s how dropshipping works:
- A customer purchases a product from your online store (at retail price)
- You place an order for that product with your supplier (at wholesale price)
- Your supplier packages and ships the product directly to your customer
Pros of Dropshipping Model To Sell Online:
- Less capital is required
- Easy to get started
- Low overhead
- Flexible location
- Wide selection of products to sell
- Easier to test
- Easier to scale
Cons of Dropshipping Model To Sell Online:
- Low margins
- Inventory issues
- Shipping complexities
- Supplier errors
- Limited customization and branding
Sourcing From Wholesalers
Sourcing products from wholesalers to start selling online is a more traditional retail business model. When you purchase a wholesaler product, you are buying from your middleman between your retail shop and the producer.
A wholesale buy is nearly always bulk in the majority. So you need to pay a discounted cost for your product. Once you purchase goods from a wholesaler, you may subsequently market them in your store at a more significant cost to create a profit. This higher cost is known as the retail cost, and it is what consumers will pay if they shop at your shop.
Buying in bulk requires a tremendous amount of money. But you’ll usually get your products at a cheaper price than you would with dropshipping. That means higher profit margins for you every time you make a sale.
You can see how sourcing from wholesalers can be more labor-intensive than dropshipping. Still, the financial benefits can make the extra work worth it.
Pros Of Buying Wholesale Model To Sell Online:
- It costs less
- Offer lower price to clients
- It’s environment-friendly Because The packaging will be less since you are buying in bulk
- You’ll have enough supply
Cons Of Buying Wholesale Model To Sell Online:
- Higher upfront cost
- Some stores require membership
- Needs more storage
- Items may perish
Sourcing From Manufacturers
Sourcing a product from the manufacturer to sell online is a similar process to sourcing from a wholesaler. The main difference is that you can work with a manufacturer to create your product or a private label product.
You should know that the initial investment is higher to create private label products. If you want to build a brand and sell a unique product, then sourcing from a manufacturer is the business model for you.
Buying a product from the producer means removing the middle man from the company. By putting a little more hard work coordinating with the manufacturer, you can a lot of added expenses.
Among the easiest ways to discover a manufacturer to produce your product is via online provider directories. These directories include tens of thousands of producer profiles, using a few which are assessed and reviewed by companies like yours. It makes finding the ideal manufacturer marginally simpler.
Cons of Buying From the Manufacturer Model To Sell Online:
- Lower Costs
- Direct Line of Communication
- Improved Customer Service
- Improved Transport and Quality Management
Pros of Buying From the Manufacturer Model To Sell Online:
- Dealing directly with the manufacturer needs a considerable level of investment to qualify as a customer.
- During times of disruption, more prominent authorized distributors may have more extensive product stocks than the manufacturers.
Making And Selling Your Products
If you can create your product and sell it online, that will be the best option. Because you will have all control from product manufacturing to quality. If you’re creative, artistic, or have a unique skill, then this business model suitable for you.
You can even start selling your products as a side-hustle while you’re still working. If you are successful, you may be able to turn it into your full-time job. The main thing with selling your products is that all of the responsibility is on your shoulders.
Suppose you want to sell digital goods like ebooks or any softwares or any digital goods than by selecting this business model you can experience a considerable profit. Because you need to create the digital interest once, and you can resell it again and again.
Pros of Making And Selling Your Own Products Model To Sell Online:
- Your customers and sales could multiply slowly for a new brand
- It adds value to your brand
- It allows you to reach new markets
- Manage different sales channels more easily
Cons Of Making And Selling Your Own Products Model To Sell Online:
- It may take a substantial initial investment while manufacturing physical goods
- High competition
- Limited product choices
What Products To Sell Online?
Deciding what to sell online is the most crucial step in the process. You cannot select a product or niche to sell online just because you have dreams of an eCommerce business or diverse interests, or a high-profit margin.
The best way to decide is to start with something broad and then narrow it down to a niche. It would be best if you also analyzed the competition as a beginner ecommerce seller. By selecting a narrow product category, you can quickly excel in a particular area and cuts down on competition.
For example, a new kitchen supply store would start out facing steep competition from huge, established brands selling a full selection of kitchen supplies. The business owner would need expertise on a massive variety of products to make the new brand stand out as an authority.
Before selecting a product to sell online, you should keep in mind the following points.
- Profitability: Make sure that you can make a profit on it. To check profitability, you should also consider factors like shipping, packaging, and marketplace fees.
- Demand: Make sure that there reasonable demand for it. Avoid seasonal products in the initial stage. One of the common mistakes new sellers make is diving into selling a particular product without checking demand.
- Competition: You should also check that the competition. Avoid products with high competition. You should know that competition can drive down your profits, particularly when there isn’t enough demand to meet it.
How Do You Know What Products To Sell Online In India?
All ecommerce marketers dream of calling the ‘next big thing’. Imagine knowing beforehand precisely what the bestselling or trending goods of 2022 will be.
If you can find the demanding product, then it will maximize your chances of success.
Let us show you a few techniques.
- Use Google Trends: It is the excellent tool to find the current trends of any products. You can check the rising in popularity within a period in various countries. You should know that the results are based on the popularity of your chosen search term in Google over time. Let’s say you want to sell t-shirts online but not sure whether to sell collar t-shirt, round neck t-shirt, or v neck t-shirt. You can enter all three and see which one is growing in popularity. Set the country to where you expect your customers to live. You can see the spikes. These spikes indicate the popularity of the respective product on that month. So sell online such products at that period.
- Do Proper Keyword Research: After getting a bit idea about your product category, you can use Google’s Keyword Planner tool. This tool will show you how many people search for that product each month (popularity) and competition for the keywords. You can avoid the outcome with a lesser search volume. Try to find a product with 500 monthly searches or more. There is no point in advertising a product with no market demand.
- Read Online Forums: You can check various forums and review sites to know customers’ pain points. If you can solve the pain point, you can quickly get a better customer base, even if it is a bit competitive. Consider the complaints of customers and use them to creating business strategies to sell the product online.
- Check Trending Section Of Popular Marketplaces: You should know that you should have enough data about your products and customers to sell online correctly. You should be aware of the current taste of customers so that you can feed them well. You can check the best selling or trending pages of various popular market places to know the current hot items to sell online. You can use Amazon, Etsy, and eBay’s own sales data by frequently checking the ‘Best Sellers’ page of the industry you’re working in.
- Products Related To Your Interests: Try to find a product with your personal interest. It will help you to research more. You can easily understand the pain point of customers and generate some out-of-the-box ideas.
- Check User Reviews From Popular Marketplaces: User reviews are the best gem to know the market potential. By analyzing user reviews on your targeting products from various marketplaces, you will quickly identify the weaker section of your competitor’s listing. So if you want to sell similar products online and solve all buyers’ issues, you can expect a better sell. Try to check reviews from various popular marketplaces like Amazon, Flipkart, Etsy, Ebay, etc.
- Know The Ease Of Sourcing: If you are Start Selling Online in India as a beginner, you need to find something easy to produce and ship. Here we are giving you some essential key points in mind when narrowing down your product ideas:
- Sourcing: You need to find a product that has more supplier options. In such a scenario, if a supplier cannot fulfill your product, you can go for others.
- Shipping: You should always choose smaller, lighter products that are easier to ship. It would help if you also kept in mind that the product should survive during the shipping process. You don’t want a product that is easily broken.
- Importing: If you are not producing and selling a product in the same country, you need to import Indian products. So you need to know the regulations on what you can and can’t import.
Best 20 Products To Start Selling Online in India 2022
Online shopping is a growing trend in India. The number of sellers and buyers is increasing daily by whopping percentages. According to a report by Statista, India’s total retail eCommerce is estimated to rise 23% by 2022, and apparel would be the largest segment.
Here we have listed the trending 20 products to sell online in India in 2022
- Mobile Phones
- Books and Stationery
- Consumer Electronics
- Fashion Accessories
- Beauty Products
- Computer Hardware, Software, and Accessories
- Video Games
- Toys and Games
- Home Decor Items
- Household Appliances
- Sports Goods and Fitness Equipment
- Baby Care Products
- Food and Health Supplements
- Provisions and Online Grocery
- Handmade Items
- Subscriptions to digital media like music channels, sports channels, films, and entertainment channels.
Essential Registration & Information To Start Online Business In India In 2022
Now, you have a clear idea about the product to sell online in India. Its time to take care of paper works. There are specific requirements for registrations and documents To start an online business in India. You need to have these documents whether you are selling on your website or selling on online marketplaces.
Here we have given you a list of vital information to sell online in India in 2022.
Essential Information To Sell Online In India In 2022:
- Name of the Company
- Name of the Individual
- PAN Card Copy
- A Cancelled cheque (in which the Seller wants payment)
- Aadhaar card Copy
- Phone number
- GST Number
- An email address
- Bank Account Details
- Address proof, e.g., Bank Statement, Electricity Bill, Passport copy, etc., needed for submission
The following licenses and registrations are needed to start selling Online in India:
You should know that there is no specific need to sell Online in India and become an online seller Online in India in 2022. However, you will always have the benefit to register as a Private Limited Company or LLP. It will help prevent unforeseen liability and enjoy better access to the credit.
You need to submit various documents based on the type of business registration, as follows:
Start Selling Online In India As An Individual Or Sole Proprietorship
Suppose you want to sell your products Online in India as individuals with your name and legal standing. These types of organizations perceive to be described as considered a Sole Proprietorship business.
Documents Required To Sell Online in India As Sole Proprietorship Or An Individual:
In case a sole proprietorship is chosen, the following documents may have to be submitted:
- Signed declaration on the business letterhead, stating that the individual owns and manages the bank account held in the business’s name.
- Statement of bank accounting registered Online in India payment gateway.
- PAN Card
- Voters ID
- Driving License
- Any other photo identity card
- Letter from a recognized Public Authority or Public Servant verifying identity.
- Telephone bill (Fixed line) in the name of the Proprietorship firm
- Electricity bill in the name of the Proprietorship firm
- Bank Account Statement in the name of the Proprietorship
- Letter from Employer
- Ration card
- Lease or license agreement
- Letter from a recognized Public Authority or Public Servant verifying identity.
Start Selling Online In India As A Private Limited Company
Private Limited Company is one of the most popular techniques of becoming an Amazon India Seller. A private limited company is a company privately held for small businesses. This type of business entity limits owner liability to their shareholdings, the number of shareholders to 200, and restricts shareholders from publicly trading shares. It has the power to take on partners or investors and quickly scale-up operations.
Documents Required To Sell Online in India As A Private Limited Company:
The following documents must be submitted for a Private Limited Company:
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation of Private Limited Company
- Copy of Memorandum of Association
- Company PAN Card
- Company Telephone bill (Fixed line)
- Company Electricity bill
- Lease or rental agreement
Start Selling Online In India As An LLP / Partnership Firm
As an Amazon India seller, you can register to be a Partnership Firm. However, while signing on as an Amazon India seller, it is better to note as an LLP (Limited Liability Partnership).
Documents Required To Sell Online in India As A Partnership/LLP Firm:
- Partnership registration or LLP Incorporation Certificate
- Partnership deed
- Power of Attorney granted to a Partner or an Employee of the LLP or Partnership firm to transact business on its behalf
- Any document identifying Partners and the person holding the Power of Attorney with their photographs
- PAN Card of the LLP or Partnership Firm
- Any officially valid document confirming the address of the Partners and the persons holding the Power of Attorney
- Firm/Partner’s Telephone bill
- Firm/Partner’s Electricity bill
- Lease or Rental agreement
- Company Electricity bill
- Lease or License agreement
Start Selling Online In India As A Trust & Foundation
Trusts and Foundations can also become sellers Online in India. Documents similar to the above documents must be provided in the Trust or Foundation’s name to establish the Trust / Foundation’s legal identity and the Trust / Foundation’s address.
GST registration is required to promote Amazon India. GST registration is compulsory for sellers to sell products and goods in India. GST Registration is substantial compliance for online businesses. You can register your business for GST easily.
Documents Required For GST Registration
- 1 Cancelled cheque of the bank account of the entity
- Aadhaar card of the directors or the partners, as the case may be
- PAN Card of the Company, LLP, or the Individual
- Bank Account Details
You also need to share details of your current bank account in the name of the business. The documents required to open a bank account are:
- PAN Card of the Individual or the company or the LLP
- Address proof of the entity
- Certificate of Incorporation in case of a company or an LLP
- Bank form
- Partnership Deed in case of a Partnership Firm
- Identity proof and address proof of all the directors of the company or the LLP as the case may be
- Once the bank account is opened, a cancelled cheque bearing the account number needs to be submitted.
- Address proof of the entity
- 2 Valid email ids
Open A Bank Account
PAN Card of the merchant is mandatory Online in India along with bank account details. Other details, including account number, PAN account holder name, and IFSC code, should be submitted to Amazon India for the payment process.
The following information about the bank account of the business must be furnished to Amazon India India to complete the Amazon India India Partner registration process:
- Account Holder Name
- Bank IFSC Code
- Bank Account Number
- Account Type
When it comes to selling goods online Online in India, any brand will likely get lots of exposure. Therefore, it is essential to ensure the brand is trademarked to avoid counterfeit goods. So, sellers are required to get a trademark registration for their own brand of products and services.
How To Check Trademark Registration Of A Brand?
To check if your brand is not registered, follow the below steps.
- Step 1: You need to find the class in which your products belong. A class in trademark context is like the HSN code of a product. Go to https://ipindiaonline.gov.in/tmrpublicsearch/classfication_goods_service.htm.You can check all the classes in this link and understand to which your products belong. You should note down the class of every product if you are trying to sell multiple categories. Now you have finalized your class that your products belong to.
- Step 2: Now, you need to visit the trademark website https://ipindiaonline.gov.in/tmrpublicsearch and enter your brand name and class. If you do not see any search results, you can go ahead with the same brand name. Remember to check into multiple classes if you intend to sell in multiple categories.
- Step 3: Now, create your logo. The fees for applying trademark is ₹4500 if you are applying online and ₹5000 if you are applying offline. It can take from 2 months to 8 months if there is no objection from the government. You can call your lawyer or search for the same in google and apply.
How To Source Products To Sell Online In India
Your business model will largely determine the type of supplier you should select for your online selling business. When looking for suppliers, if you plan to manufacture or wholesale, you’ll decide whether you want to source domestically or overseas. Overseas can refer to any location abroad.
First, you should determine what type of supplier you should choose. There are several options, the most common being:
- A manufacturer to produce your product idea.
- A supplier (who may also be a manufacturer), wholesaler, or distributor to purchase already-existing brands and products.
- A dropshipper to supply products and fulfill orders of already-existing brands and products.
You need to follow the four steps given below to find the best product source to sell online in India.
- Research suppliers
- Contact suppliers for a quotation
- Examine product samples
- Order Your Products
Top Five Factors To Consider When Choosing Product Supplier
To start an online selling business on Amazon India in 2022, you should have clarity on selecting a product supplier.
Here are some key factors you should consider while selecting a supplier for your online selling business in India.
- Product Quality: You need high-quality products to sell online to build trust and get better buyers’ feedback. If you sell low-quality products, your reviews become lower, and your sale also decreases.
- Minimum Order Quantity: You need to know the minimum order quantity before finalizing the supplier. Otherwise, you may have to invest a considerable amount.
- Experience: Try to select such manufacturers who are producing from producing your type of product for at least three years. You can see a supplier’s history in the Supplier Database.
- Easy To Communicate: Find a factory that is easy to communicate with and responds to you in a reasonable amount of time.
- Fair Price: You want a reasonable price for your products. Avoid such a factory that quotes a much higher or much lower price.
After deciding on the product to sell online in India 2022, you need to find a reliable supplier for that product. Finding a supplier is probably the second most time-consuming part of selling online.
How To Find A Good Supplier For Your Online Store
One of the key factors to your online selling business success or failure is the excellent supplier. Don’t finalize in a hurry. You should choose the right supplier for your ecommerce store.
Here we are covering a detailed guide on selecting the best product supplier for online selling business in India. A supplier is one of your most important business partners, so you want to make sure you choose the right one.
- Research On Product Suppliers: It is one first phase to find a suitable product supplier for online selling business. You already know that there are thousands of manufacturers around the world who can produce any product you can imagine. So you need to find those suppliers and make a list of the top 10-15. Make sure you have considered five factors, as we have explained earlier When Choosing a Product Supplier. Here we have covered some best sources of potential suppliers. These suppliers can produce the highest quality product for you at the best price.
- Alibaba: It is one of the biggest platforms to find international suppliers. You can find the products at low prices. It is also the largest business-to-business platform in the world. Here, you can use Alibaba’s search function to find the relevant products and the manufacturers.
- Indiamart: It is one of the best directories to find manufacturers or suppliers from India. As a beginner to sell online in India, sourcing from IndiaMART is the best option for you. You will easily find everything available for sale in India. You can also find the importers, traders, or manufacturers.
- Google: Over the last handful of years, we’ve become accustomed to being able to quickly search Google and find what we’re looking for in the first few search results. However, many suppliers haven’t kept pace with the internet or Google’s algorithm changes.
- Sourcing Agents: You can also hire sourcing agents to source products with the best quality and price. They have a clear idea about the product of various countries. So they may give you a competitive edge in finding more affordable pricing. You can find reputable sourcing agents online.
- Ask For Proper Packaging And Branding: To create a product unique, you need to have attractive packing and branding. It would help if you asked your supplier the same before placing a large bulk order for unique branding and packaging. After getting the exact dimension of your packaging from the supplier, you ask a graphic designer to design accordingly.
- Set Price & Order Your Products To Sell Online: It is the last and final step.After finalizing the product and suppliers, you can place an order. Before placing a bulk order, you need to negotiate with your supplier and try to reduce the price as much as possible. It would help if you kept in mind that the product will typically take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to manufacture.
How Do You Get A Better Deal From Your Product Supplier
Your main goal is to find the high-quality product supplier at a better price. So, you can easily earn a better profit margin while selling online in India.
Here we are giving you some tips to get a better deal from product supplier for ecommerce store:
- Order in Bulk: You can quickly negotiate the price of the product by placing bulk order. If you have a meager budget, then this might not be a good option for you. But if you have a better budget, you should consider buying in bulk.
- Make A Better Relationship With Your Supplier: As your online selling business solely depends on the supplier’s products, you need to show them you’re serious and consistent. It will help you to get better discounts and other bonuses. If the supplier is not offering any discount, then ask them. If your business is valuable to them, they’ll try anything to keep you happy.
- Buy from The Manufacturer If Possible: If you can afford to order in bulk, buy directly from the product manufacturer rather than a wholesaler. You will get the product at the best prices. If you’re in a position to buy in bulk, consider splitting the cost with other sellers. You can sometimes find partners on wholesale forum sites and arrange to separate a shipment.
What Are The Best Platforms To Sell Online?
There are many top platforms to sell online. You should think about several points during your selection process, for example, applicability, pricing, and others. But, three principal issues ought to be addressed with your e-commerce platform supplier: security, storage area, and innovative layout.
- Safety Protocols: Safety is a critical issue in online sales. Make sure the platform you choose offers fraud protection and Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption.
- Storage Space: Make sure the e-commerce platform you choose does not put a cap on your sales. It should have enough storage space. It will impact your sales volume and your capacity to absorb increasing amounts of the order later.
- User-Friendly Design: Your online store should have better looks and responsiveness. It also should have a user-friendly interface. Each tool should be precise, and it should be easy for the customer to select their desired options.
The trick to these is to pick an e-commerce platform that allows you to build, customize, and operate an online shop. These platforms have tools to help you through the whole process of preparing your ecommerce enterprise. They’ll help you browse through the steps entailed, such as hosting, design, pricing and payment options, advertising reports, and tools.
Below are a few of the top platforms to sell online:
Sell Online On Marketplaces 2022
An online marketplace is a type of e-commerce website where multiple third parties provide product or service information. Online marketplaces are the primary type of multichannel ecommerce and can be a way to streamline the production process.
Each online marketplace has its unique requirements, product categories, listing fees, and audiences. So if you want to be sure you’re making the right decision, some upfront research is necessary. You’ll want to understand the different strategies for selling on marketplaces, which ones hold the most promise for your products, and what you need to do to ensure a smooth start.
Some of the potential benefits to sell online marketplaces are summarized below:
- It supplies an additional channel to advertise and sell your products.
- The platform features reduced advertising costs in contrast to other revenue channels.
- It permits new chances for overseas revenue.
- They’re popular with clients and supply a handy method to compare prices and products from one source.
- Being a part of a proven online marketplace provides a degree of confidence between you and the buyer.
- Unbiased reviews of your products and support might provide fresh customers the confidence to purchase.
Sell Online On Amazon India 2022
Amazon is currently India’s largest online marketplace and contains the sort of reach to clients that’s practically impossible to envision.
Start Selling Online on Amazon India is among the most excellent making money online now through ecommerce. Whether you’re seeking to prepare a full-fledged company or a negative income to your loved ones, getting a seller on Amazon is among the greatest approaches to make it occur.
Imagine getting access to countless clients the minute that you make your product live on Amazon. Amazon sells over 3 billion products; that’s the type of power that the platform has now.
What To Sell Online On Amazon?
You can sell products ranging from general merchandise that includes fashion, electronics & accessories, appliances, home & kitchen, mobile & tablets, etc.
Check the step-by-step guide about the Ultimate Way To Start Online Selling On Amazon India In 2022.
Sell Online On Flipkart
Flipkart has become the flag bearer of the Indian eCommerce story and has come a very long way, enticing users from throughout the country. So as a seller, being a part of Flipkart is nothing less than a prestigious entrepreneur.
Selling on this Walmart-possessed platform may be a full-time company or work as a service income to some household’s primary earner. Flipkart began in 2007 as an online book reseller with nationwide delivery. Flipkart afterward expanded its categories to apparel, electronics, lifestyle products, groceries, along with others.
According to the 2019 report, over 100 million registered users shop on Flipkart. It is an attractive proposition for its sellers for such a vast user base. There are advantages of selling on Flipkart.
What To Sell Online On Flipkart?
You can sell products ranging from general merchandise that includes fashion, electronics & accessories, appliances, home & kitchen, mobile & tablets, etc.
Want more information? See How To Sell Online On Flipkart In 2022.
Sell Online On Snapdeal
Snapdeal, based by Kunal Bahl and Rohit Bansal, is currently India’s largest online marketplace offering over four thousand products across various categories from over 50,000 sellers.
Snapdeal witnessed record quantities of earnings throughout the recently held sale afternoon, crossing Rs. 1 crore of revenues every moment. With an increasing number of people shopping online, e-commerce is still among the fastest-growing businesses with lots of chances.
Selling through online marketplaces such as Snapdeal, Flipkart, or Amazon will help establish companies quickly locate clients without worrying about marketing or technology. In this guide, we look at how to sell on Snapdeal and Snapdeal seller enrollment procedures.
What To Sell Online On Snapdeal?
You can sell products ranging from general merchandise that includes fashion, electronics & accessories, appliances, home & kitchen, mobile & tablets, etc.
Check the complete guide on How To Start Selling Online On Snapdeal In 2022.
Sell Online On ShopClues
ShopClues is a shopping site for companies and customers that functions providers, manufacturers, professionals, business owners, etc. An individual should register as a seller by taking specific actions to become a part of this online merchant group.
ShopClues is funded by Sandeep Agarwal, Sanjay Sethi, and Radhika Aggarwal from the year 2011. Since that time, over 6 lakh sellers have linked a listing near three crore products on this e-commerce portal site.
The things covered are clothing, electronics, fashion and kitchen appliances, overall utility products, etc. Shopclues aids in the marketing of regional manufacturers and products.
What To Sell Online On Shopclues?
The company is a marketplace for thousands of different category products. Still, some categories are considered premier for home & kitchen, fashion, mobiles & electronics, and sports.
Want To Sell Online On ShopClues? Here check the guide on How To Start Selling Online On ShopClues In 2022.
Sell Online On Myntra
Myntra is among India’s foremost e-commerce companies, an online fashion and lifestyle shop based in Bangalore, Karnataka.
It is a massive platform for online revenue. It is increasing and shipping more than 8000 products a day to all around the nation. This organization aims at offering a hassle-free and comfortable shopping experience to customers throughout the country with the broadest array of brands and products on its portal site.
What To Sell Online On Myntra?
You can sell fashion merchandise and fashion accessories on Myntra.
Sell Online On Paytm
Paytm endorsed by the Chinese Alibaba Group and a new entrant to the Indian ecommerce marketplace, are quickly growing, backed by the revolutionary mobile wallet idea.
Paytm which began by providing online cellular and DTH recharging solutions, has become an entire-blown ecommerce site offering a selection of products and services from electronic equipment to bus ticket reservations.
With the platform recording a solid increase in earnings and customers, now’s the ideal time to be a seller on Paytm. In this guide, we examine getting a Paytm seller and finishing the Paytm seller enrollment procedure. Paytm is seeing a massive boom in India fueled by reductions and cash-backs.
What To Sell Online On Paytm?
Like Amazon and Flipkart, Paytm also allows you to sell products ranging from general merchandise, including fashion, electronics & accessories, appliances, home & kitchen, mobile & tablets, etc.
Sell Online On Pepperfry
It’s an Indian online marketplace for furniture established in the year 2011. Hence it partners with furniture retailers and connects them to the buyer.
Ambareesh Murty and Ashish Shah established it. The site was launched in the year 2012 as an online marketplace for furniture and other home decors.
Initially, it worked just for furniture, but today, they expanded their domain into kitchen appliances and tools functioning 500 towns and cities in India. It’s regarded as the most significant player for selling furniture and home decoration.
What To Sell Online On Pepperfry?
In Pepperfry, you can only sell furniture, home decor accessories, and kitchen appliances.
Sell Online On Firstcry
If you are to sell online children’s fashion apparel and accessories, Firstcry is the ideal location for you. Firstcry is a platform that focuses explicitly on kid’s fashion.
So it is an online store for baby product retailing launched in the year 2010. Using over 350 stores, it turned into Asia’s largest online marketplace for children’s products.
Founder of FirstCry, Spam Maheshwari, an IIM Ahmedabad graduate, recognized the need and supply gap in this marketplace. He set Brainvisa Technologiesback in 2000 a B2B model with core strengths in providing instructional design and end-to-end solutions.
What To Sell Online On Firstcry?
In the first cry, you can sell any fashion or other kids’ products.
Sell Online On Meesho
Meesho is an online social trade platform. They graduated from IIT Delhi. It obtained investment in Facebook, becoming the first Indian beginning up to get an investment from Facebook. It’s India’s first societal channel selling platform. It’s distinctive from other marketplaces, which lets you set up a company utilizing social programs rather than seller portals. People can efficiently work from home using Meesho.
What To Sell Online On Meesho?
You can specifically sell all fashion, lifestyle, or handicraft accessories.
Start Selling Online On Social Platforms
Start Selling Online on social media is when businesses decide to upload and sell their products online on a societal platform. They then use that platform to achieve their audience and market to them through social media versus a web page. And it’s doing it fast! Everything in the digital marketing world grows at lightning speed.
Social selling is about gaining access to connections and building relationships, and listening for the right moment to join the dialogue. Then you can introduce yourself as a remedy to an issue. The intention is to tackle a pressing need to make your prospect’s life easier instead of becoming just another online irritant to ignore.
The most popular social selling sites are:
- Facebook Marketplace: Making product listings on the Facebook marketplace is as simple as listing on Olx classifieds. The range of your product listings will likely be neighborhood, and curious people may communicate with you via messenger. In the event, you’ve got the shopping associate of your shop for precisely the same product. Also, you can share it straight and add more odds of conversion.
- Google Merchant Store: There’s nothing better than selling to the platform at which people look for your products. The product listing on Google store improves your shop’s ranking if you supply your shoppers’ buy link. It increases the vulnerability of your brand.
- Instagram Shop: The newest upgrade of Instagram came together with the Instagram store feature to convert your listings right to the product listings. Exactly like displaying the title of tagged users, the cost will probably be visible to the Instagrammers researching your products. Just one click can draw users to a store’s checkout site, hence adding more conversion odds.
- WhatsApp Business: Although Whatsapp arrived as a regular messenger program, the company version revolutionized ecommerce entirely. You may discuss the products and recent launches inside your classes and community with simple social sharing choices.
Start Selling Online On Own Website
Every mode of selling online at no cost has its pros and cons. Selling across different online sites makes it a lot easier to bring earnings, but the conversion speed is never promised. Everyone must follow the policies of these platforms and ecommerce businesses to sell their merchandise online. If you would like to sell on your terms, the best deal would be to design your web store and launch it.
As soon as you’re done launching your website, you have to work hard on advertising and effort designing to deliver quality visitors to your shop. Maintain transparency about your payment policies, and start selling entirely for free. You cut off the commission charges as well. Therefore, you can maximize your gain.
Below are some of the best platforms to create your online store:
- Wix Ecommerce
How To Create & Optimize Online Product Listing
You have to decide what items you want to sell online and list them accordingly. Your items must be cataloged in advance at the time of Listing in the inventory.
The list or category of things you wish to list on your own website or any online marketplaces must be ready before the registration process. It is an essential aspect to start selling online.
Product listings are literally everything in an ecommerce business. So you should not neglect it. You can use some ranking tricks. But remember, nothing helps your entire SEO strategy like an optimized listing whether you are selling on your own website or any online marketplaces.
Fully optimize your product listing with keywords and create meaningful relationships with your customers.
Essential Guidelines On Ecommerce Product Listing Optimization
- Product Title: You need to keep your product title under 200 characters. Make sure that you have added the main keyword, i.e., your product name. Create an eye-catching title for great CTR.
- Product Images: You should add high quality and visible product image. Rename the product image with the product name. Just follow these general rules:
- Always use high-quality images.
- Use the exact image dimensions every time.
- Provide as many views as possible.
- Make sure each product variant
- Give your customers context by showing images of your product in use whenever possible.
- Bullet Points: After product title and images, bullet points are essential factors that customers pay attention to. Your bullet points should have the information about product features in brief.
- Key Product Features: You should not forget to add key features. Add most highlighting points here and make sure that sentences are short.
- Product Description: You should know that Product description has a significant role in SEO. You need to add the main keyword you are targeting and also other related keywords in it. Don’t forget to add the main keyword in the first few line of your product descriptions to get better SEO benefits. Here are some key do’s and don’ts when writing product descriptions:
- Don’t copy and paste the manufacturer’s description. You can rewrite them.
- To highlight the benefits of the product, as well as the features, to your customer.
- Do use simple language to write for your customers.
- Don’t vary your style from product to product.
- Do add social proof if possible.
- Don’t lie.
- Do tell your story.
How To Promote Your Products and Generate the First Sale?
Congratulations! Your online store setup is accomplished. Now is time to attract customers to your listings or website and generate sales. To generate sales, you need to have a proper marketing strategy to promote your products. Nothing can happen automatically.
There are mainly two types of promotional strategy,
- Free Promotions
- Paid Promotions
Here we have covered both types of promotional strategies to start selling online.
How To Market Your Product Online for Free
When you’re starting selling online, you may not have a huge marketing budget. It is also possible that you might not have any money put aside for marketing.
Don’t worry! There are multiple ways to promote your online store and product without spending a penny. Thankfully, there are many ways you can market your products online for free – as long as you’re willing to invest some time into learning how to do it.
- Social Media Marketing: Every business worth its weight with a social media presence. Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter – they’re all great for promoting your business and products. You don’t have to spend a cent but need to grow your followers. You can build an audience simply by sharing exciting and engaging content related to your product or niche.
- Start A Blog: Blogging is still one of the best content marketing strategies. You need to have basic content writing and SEO knowledge to general audiences. You can use free platforms as well as self-hosted platforms with little or no investment.
- Start A YouTube Channel: Starting a YouTube channel is also a good option. You can create content related to your niche and spread awareness, and gain more audiences. You can convert your viewer to the buyer with the proper explanation of your product or niche.
- Positive PR: Do something newsworthy. You can do something creative that generates media attention for your business. Make sure that you are not doing a kind of misleading stunt. It can damage your brand reputation.
How To Run Paid Marketing For Your Online Store
If you have a budget to spend on paid advertising, then you should go with it. It can be a worthwhile investment. You can easily target specific audiences with your products. Paid advertising and generate traffic to your listings. You need to know that paid advertising is the best method for some online sellers, especially dropshippers, to make sales.
It is better to use a mix of free and paid marketing to give your online store the best chance of success.
Here we have covered some paid marketing strategies to sell your product online.
- Facebook Ads: Facebook is the world’s biggest social media platform with 2.4 million consumers. Additionally, it has among the most innovative advertising platforms that permit you to target individuals based on their place, age, sex, interests, and online behavior. It will cost more money. As soon as you locate an advertisement that is functioning and converting customers, you should begin spending more. The more you market, the more info Facebook collects in your audiences. The information helps you with targeting and retargeting, assisting Facebook in linking your advertisements with the men and women that are most likely to buy your merchandise. Facebook Ads are an instance of needing to shell out money to generate money.
- Instagram Ads: Facebook possesses Instagram. Hence the advertisements you put up on Facebook may run on Instagram. You may opt to run advertisements on Instagram as articles or stories. Also, you may target individuals in the same manner that you possibly can with Facebook. You would like to produce ads that are native to the stage, meaning that they do not look like advertisements.
- Google Ads: Google is the planet’s most-used search engine. Google Ads enables you to put advertisements within search results. Those are paid advertisements. Google also lets you target specific keywords related to your product or market. It’s possible to decide on a monthly limit on how much you are prepared to spend on your own Google Ads. Google also possesses Youtube, which will be just another platform to think about advertising.
- Marketplaces Ads: Almost every online marketplace has its own paid advertising system to promote your products. You should begin by focusing on your customers’ platforms that are very likely to participate in all. Paid advertising is fast becoming a necessity for success and growth in ecommerce.
How To Pack Online Orders
Packing is an essential step to making a great first impression with customers while selling online. Good packing also helps ensure your customers receive your products correctly and have a great shopping experience.
An online retail transaction is complete only when the shipment arrives safely at the customer’s door. No amount of website design, creative marketing, and friendly personnel will matter to your customer if that customer’s order shows up mangled and broken.
Essential Tips For Packing Products For Online Store
- Choose Materials Wisely: So-called poly bags, which are durable, water-resistant, and unlikely to tear, work well for soft goods that are not fragile.
- Safety First: After spending so much time preparing and listing your merchandise, it’s important to package it carefully. You don’t want your customer to open a box to find something broken or ruined. You lose money and might even lose a customer.
- Promote Brand Identity: Make it memorable! Choose envelopes, tissue paper, and other packing materials that complement your brand. Excellent packaging is a great way to set yourself apart from the competition.
How To Ship Online Orders
Ecommerce shipping encompasses all services needed to transport products purchased online from a retailer to the customer’s delivery destination. With the right partner, ecommerce shipping could be manageable, cheap, and quick.
The one question that may tick your thoughts is how to handle and manage the received orders’ delivery. You do not need to worry about that anymore. Here we show you the specific way to ship products to your customers in any part of India.
As Soon as You get an order in the eCommerce store, your next task is to safely send the ordered merchandise to the buyer’s destination.
Follow these simple steps to deliver products to the customers in India:
- Calculate Shipping Charges: Before shipping the orders, you need to be aware of an item’s shipping to your buyer from your pickup location. All shipping rates depend on a variety of factors, including:
- Package size
- Type Of Package
- Package weight
- Origin Location
- Destination Location
- Pack The Item Properly: You should pack the item properly to avoid any damage during its transition. If you are shipping fragile items, like glass, you should take extra care of that.
- Print Shipping Labels: Pates the printed shipping on your courier package. These labels contain information about the customer’s address and contact details. It also shows your details as a buyer.
- Handover The Package To The Courier: After placing the pickup order with your eCommerce courier provider, the delivery guy would pick the shipment from the pickup location. You can select multiple pickup locations for your shipments to be delivered depending upon your courier provider’s functionality and features. If you use the fulfillment services like Amazon FBA, the will take care of packaging to shipping. Some popular ecommerce courier partners in India as below.
- ECOM Express
- Blue Dart
- India Post
- First Flight Couriers
- Tracking The Delivery: After handing over the package to the delivery guy, you can track your shipment’s live status directly from the shipping panel. You can easily track every step company till the time it reaches your customer.
How to Receive Payments For Online Sales
Obtaining payments online on an online sale ensures collecting funds quicker than waiting for a paycheck or money order to reach your business location.
Many choices exist for accepting payments online. You can opt to use conventional merchant accounts or options which don’t require monthly fees or gear leasing.
When setting up an online shop, finding out which kinds of payment methods to use is vital for your company. Not simply because there are various sorts to select from, but specific kinds are optimized to maximize sales opportunities.
Following is a brief checklist that will help you discover which kinds of payment methods will work best for the ecommerce company.
Here is the list of some payment methods for your e-commerce business in India.
Types of Payment Methods for ECommerce India
- Credit/Debit card payments: Payments via cards are one of the most widely used and popular methods in India and internationally.
- Prepaid card payments: As an alternative for credit/debit cards, prepaid cards are introduced.
- E-Wallets: E-wallet is one of the upcoming trends which gives a new shopping experience altogether.
- Bank transfers: Though not popular nowadays, a bank transfer is considered an essential payment method for eCommerce.
- Cash: It is also a pretty popular payment method for Online Store In India. For eCommerce, it comes in the form of the cash-on-delivery option.
- Mobile payments: It is one of India’s popular payment methods for online payment and cash on delivery.
Now you have a clear idea of how to sell online in India in 2022. Start selling online is an exciting journey. You should always learn new things to understand the market and become successful in the e-commerce business.
Online Selling Business is booming in India. The rising penetration of mobile and smartphone data, alongside the development in electronic literacy, has resulted in an influx of investment from ecommerce startups.
Keep in mind that your first few online sales should not be about only making profits. During the first days, your attention needs to enhance your marketing, shipping, satisfaction and customer service, and purchasing experience.
If you have any questions, ask us in the comment section below.
FAQs To Know Before Start Selling Online In India in 2022
Here you can check some important FAQs related to online Selling in India in 2022 .
How Do I Become a Good Online Seller?
You need to consider following factors to become a good online seller:
Provide excellent customer service.
Use fast shipping method.
Offer additional services or benefits to your customers.
Dedicated toward your work and enjoy it fully.
How Do I Start a Successful Online Store?
To make your online store successful, you need to consider several other factors from the beginning:
High quality contents in your listings.
Use good quality product photos.
A parefect marketing strategy.
Ask customers for feedbacks and reviews.
Can We Sell Alcohol Online In India?
The answer is yes. But it depends on the law of the state. As an Online Marketplace, you have to tie up with the Authorized retailers to sell Liquor in the Particular area.
This type of business model works on the commission basis, but they have to complete each state’s rules and regulations. Even in some states, you can’t generally operate as a Marketplace because some state laws are imposed a ban on Liquor consumption and selling.
For Starting a Liquor Business in India, you have to require License from the Excise Department State Government. Liquor Licenses and Rules & Regulations are held by each state government like selling timing to age. There are a lot of factors regulated by each state government in India.
Can We Sell Cigarettes Online In India
It depends on the tobacco regulation of the state. Generally, there are no restrictions on internet sales or the sale of small packets of cigarettes or other tobacco products. The sale of tobacco products is prohibited to persons under the age of 18.
Where Can I Sell Things Online For Free?
Be aware that there are always going to be some fees involved when selling online. Some platforms charge listing fees upon adding your product. In contrast, others use transaction fees or otherwise take a percentage of your profits when the product sells. So you can choose any top online marketplaces to start selling online like Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, ShopClues, etc.
I Don’t Have A Website, Can I Still Sell Online?
You don’t need a website to start selling online. Once you select any marketplaces and complete the seller registration, you will have access to our Seller Central platform to list your products for sale Online.
Is Online Selling Profitable?
Of course, it is. One of the misconceptions that many people have is that their profit margins will reduce if they go online. Well, that isn’t true. Businesses had saved a considerable amount of money when they moved 100% online.
How Much Does It Cost To Build An Online Store In India?
The answer is it depends on the platform you are using to create your store online. It can be free of cost initially or you have to pay some money.
If you choose to use a website builder to create an online store, it can cost you anything between approx Rs 1,500- Rs 30,000 per month based on on the level of customizations, plugins and services used.
Should I Sell On Marketplaces Or On Own Store?
In the beginning, you should sell on online marketplaces. When you’ve got enough experience and gain adequate knowledge, you should certainly open your own store. Most successful sellers sell both on marketplaces and on online store as well.
Which Are The Best Marketplaces To Sell My Products?
There are many great marketplaces where you can list your products and start selling in no time. Amazon and Flipkart are the best ones. You can sell on one or multiple marketplaces.
Can I Sell Online Without GST?
All online sellers should have GST number for selling taxable items. Rules are strict and you should not sell with no. Penalty is heavy if you are caught. Moreover, marketplaces won’t allow you to enroll as vendors without GST amount for selling taxable items.
What Do I Need To Register As A Seller On Marketplaces?
Most of the marketplaces require you to submit:
GST No. for selling taxable items
Brand authorization for selling branded items (selected companies)
Bank Account Details
Some marketplaces may require one or two additional documents. It’s mostly mentioned on their seller registration page or you can call at their seller support phone number.
What Is Brand Authorization?
For selling branded products, some businesses require merchants to acquire authorization to market online and that’s brand authorization. But, if you have a purchase invoice, you might not require brand authorization.